In the Indian healthcare landscape, the importance of having adequate health insurance cannot be overstated. As medical costs continue to rise and unforeseen health challenges become an inevitable part of life, securing your well-being and that of your loved ones has never been more crucial. This is where you need to select a health insurance plan with an adequate sum insured. If you are wondering how much sum insured is enough, keep in mind that there is no such upper limit. However, you can get peace of mind by selecting a 1 crore health insurance policy.
In our country, the quality and accessibility of medical services vary significantly from one region to another. This is where a health insurance policy with a sum insured of 1 crore can be considered as the gold standard. It’s often regarded as the symbol of financial preparedness for any health-related eventuality. Whether it’s a minor ailment, a major medical procedure, or the unfortunate event of a critical illness, a 1 crore health insurance policy ensures that you can access the best possible healthcare.
This comprehensive guide aims to unravel various sides of 1 crore health insurance. We will delve into the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of this essential financial safety net, helping you understand the significance of having an adequate sum insured.
What is 1 Crore Health Insurance?
In simple words, 1 crore health insurance refers to a health insurance policy with a sum insured of one crore rupees. Its primary defining feature is the substantial sum insured. One crore rupees equates to ten million, a figure that’s not arbitrary but rather meticulously calculated to offer comprehensive coverage for a wide spectrum of healthcare needs. This substantial sum serves as a financial safety net and can cushion you from the financial shockwaves of medical emergencies. Whether it’s a routine medical procedure, a sudden hospitalization, or an unforeseen critical illness, this sum insured provides you with the assurance that you can access quality healthcare without compromising your financial stability.
Here are some other benefits of buying 1 crore health insurance in India:
1 crore health insurance is synonymous with comprehensive coverage. It goes beyond mere hospitalization expenses and encompasses a wide range of medical costs. This includes doctor’s fees, diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications, ambulance charges, room rent, and post-hospitalization expenses (as per the chosen policy).
The policy often extends its coverage to include critical illnesses, pre-existing conditions, and even day-care procedures, depending on the policy terms and conditions.
One of the primary motives behind opting for a 1 crore health insurance policy is the assurance of financial security. In India, healthcare costs are on the rise. Having adequate coverage is not just prudent but a necessity. Such a policy provides peace of mind that comes with knowing you can seek necessary medical care without worrying about affordability.
Flexibility in customization
Most 1 crore health insurance plans offer flexibility to tailor coverage to your specific needs. You can select additional coverage options, add-ons, and policy terms that align with your requirements. This flexibility ensures that the policy caters to your budget and individual preferences.
You can also avail of the advantage of lifelong renewability with these health insurance policies. It means you can continue renewing your policy as you age, provided you pay the premiums on time. This feature is invaluable, as health risks often increase with age, which makes consistent coverage vital across your entire lifespan.
The premium you pay for a 1 crore health insurance policy can make you eligible for tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act. This can reduce your taxable income and allow you to save on your tax liabilities while ensuring your health and financial well-being.
Top Features of a 1 Cr Health Insurance Policy
Beyond the substantial sum insured, 1 crore health insurance policies come with an array of distinctive features that set them apart in healthcare coverage. Some of them are:
No-Claim Bonus (NCB)
These policies have an NCB feature, which means your sum insured increases in the subsequent year if you do not make any claims during a policy year. It can also be considered a reward for maintaining good health and not requiring medical assistance.
Restoration benefit is yet another invaluable feature of a 1 crore insurance policy. If you exhaust your entire sum insured during the policy year, this feature can help restore the sum insured for future claims. It’s like having backup coverage to ensure you are always protected, even if your primary sum insured is utilized.
In-patient hospitalization coverage
Most of these policies cover in-patient hospitalization expenses in great detail. This includes room rent, nursing expenses, and the cost of medicines and consumables used during your hospital stay. Some policies even cover the fees of your medical practitioner, making sure you are comprehensively protected.
Modern medical advancements have made many treatments and surgeries possible without the need for extended hospital stays. Keeping this in mind, many one crore health insurance policies include coverage for a wide range of day-care procedures.
Organ donor expenses
In the event of an organ transplant, your 1 cr health insurance policy may also cover expenses related to the donor’s hospitalization, treatment, and surgical procedures. This feature eases the financial burden associated with organ transplants.
Maternity and newborn coverage
For those planning to start or expand their families, some of these policies offer maternity and newborn coverage. This includes expenses related to pregnancy, delivery, and neonatal care, ensuring comprehensive support during this significant life event.
Recommended Read: Maternity Insurance: A Complete Guide
Since complementary and alternative treatments, such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy, and Unani, are becoming popular, many policies even extend coverage to these alternative forms of treatment.
Waiting period waivers
In certain cases, waiting periods for specific conditions or treatments can be waived under a 1 crore health insurance policy, especially if you’re switching from another insurer. This ensures you don’t face unnecessary delays in accessing the required medical care.
Read More: All About Section 80C
What is Typically Covered Under 1 Crore Health Insurance?
Here are the typical inclusions under such policies:
- Hospitalization expenses (covering room rent, nursing charges, boarding expenses, and ICU charges during hospital stays)
- Doctor’s fees (covering the fees of medical practitioners, surgeons, anesthetists, and consultants)
- Medicines and consumables (covering the cost of medicines, drugs, and consumables used during treatment)
- Diagnostic tests (covering expenses incurred for diagnostic tests, such as blood tests, X-rays, MRI scans, and CT scans)
- Pre- and post-hospitalization expenses (covering medical expenses incurred in the days leading up to hospitalization or the ones after hospital discharge)
- Ambulance charges (covering the cost of ambulance services to ensure swift transportation in case of emergencies)
- Psychiatric and psychological disorders
What is Not Covered Under One Crore Health Insurance?
Here are the typical items/situations not covered under such policies:
- Most policies impose a waiting period before covering pre-existing conditions, which means that claims related to these conditions may not be accepted during the waiting period. Besides this, there may be waiting periods for certain treatments or procedures, such as maternity benefits, cataract surgery, joint replacement, and more.
- Some alternative or non-allopathic treatments, such as naturopathy, acupuncture, or traditional medicine systems, may not be covered.
- Procedures done for cosmetic or aesthetic reasons, like plastic surgery, hair transplant, or weight loss surgeries, are typically excluded.
- Injuries or illnesses resulting from intentional self-harm, substance abuse, or participation in illegal activities are usually not covered.
- Injuries or illnesses arising from acts of war, terrorism, or participation in war-like activities are generally excluded.
- Fertility treatments and related procedures are often not included.
- Routine dental and vision care, such as dental check-ups, eyeglasses, and contact lenses, are usually not covered.
- If you receive treatment at a hospital that is not approved by your insurance provider, the expenses may not be covered.
- If you fail to disclose accurate and complete medical history during policy application, it may lead to claim rejection.
Disclaimer: The specific features, inclusions, and exclusions vary from one policy to another. Hence, it’s crucial to read and understand your policy’s terms and conditions thoroughly to know what is and isn’t covered. If you have specific concerns or questions about certain scenarios, consult your insurance provider for clarity.
Add-Ons You Can Include in Your 1 Cr Insurance Policy
You can enhance the benefits of your 1 crore health insurance policy with these valuable add-ons:
- Critical illness rider
- Maternity rider
- Personal accident rider
- Hospital cash rider
- Outpatient Department (OPD) rider
- Global health coverage rider
- Organ donor cover
- Restoration benefit rider
- Cancer care rider
- Accidental death and disability rider
- Medical evacuation rider
- Specific disease riders
** The availability of add-ons may vary among insurance providers, which is why you need to review your options when customizing your health insurance policy.
How to Buy a 1 Crore Health Insurance Policy?
Purchasing a 1 cr health insurance policy is a significant step towards securing your health. You can opt for it either offline or online. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to buy one:
Steps for online purchase
- Begin by assessing your current health status and future healthcare requirements.
- Look for reputable insurance companies that offer 1 crore health insurance policies. Visit their official websites to explore the available options and features.
- Select 1 crore sum insured.
- Consider add-ons to enhance your coverage.
- Thoroughly read the policy document online, paying attention to inclusions, exclusions, waiting periods, and claim procedures.
- Ensure that you understand the policy’s digital terms and conditions.
- You can also use a 1 crore health insurance premium calculator to request and compare quotes.
- Complete the digital application form on the insurer’s website, providing all requested information. Ensure that you input your details accurately.
- Undergo medical tests (if required).
- Carefully review the details you’ve entered, the policy coverage, and the premium amount.
- Proceed to confirm the purchase and pay the premium.
Steps for offline purchase
Buying a one crore health insurance policy offline requires you to either visit the official branch of the chosen insurer or meet with an insurance agent.
Whether you choose to buy the policy online or offline, make sure you retain copies of all the documents for future reference and maintain clear communication with the insurer.
Who Should Buy 1 Crore Health Insurance Plans?
1 crore health insurance plans are ideally suited for a wide range of individuals and families, especially those who:
- Seek comprehensive healthcare coverage, including coverage for hospitalization, doctor’s fees, diagnostic tests, and more
- Have a family with dependents and wish to secure their health and well-being
- Want to prepare for unexpected medical expenses, including those related to critical illnesses and surgeries
- Travel frequently, either domestically or internationally, and require global health coverage
- Desire to reduce the financial burden of medical treatments, ensuring that their savings and assets remain protected
- Are planning to start or expand their family and require maternity and newborn coverage
- Value flexibility in customizing their policy with add-ons and riders to cater to their specific healthcare needs
- Recognize the importance of lifelong coverage and tax benefits provided by 1 Crore Health Insurance plans
- Understand the rising costs of healthcare in India and wish to secure their financial stability against these expenses
Can I get a 1 cr health insurance policy for my entire family?
Yes, many insurance providers offer family floater plans with a sum insured of 1 Crore, covering you, your spouse, and dependent children under a single policy.
What is the waiting period for pre-existing conditions in a 1 crore health insurance policy?
The waiting period typically ranges from 2 to 4 years. However, this may vary among insurance providers, which is why you should review the policy terms for specific details.
Do one crore health insurance plans cover maternity expenses?
Some policies offer maternity coverage, including delivery and newborn care. You can select such a policy if you plan to start or expand your family. For more details, ask your insurance provider.
Are premiums for a 1 crore health insurance policy higher than those for lower sum insured policies?
Yes, premiums are generally higher for a 1 crore policy. However, the enhanced coverage and financial security it provides make it a worthwhile investment.
How do I renew my 1 crore health insurance policy after the initial term?
Most policies offer lifelong renewability. To renew your policy, pay the premium before the expiration date and continue to enjoy uninterrupted coverage.
Can I include my parents under my 1 crore health insurance policy?
Yes, you can often include your parents as dependents in your policy, provided they meet the age eligibility criteria set by the insurer.